Missionary

Missionary

Translate

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

FIRST LETTER FROM GUATEMALA!!

Hello everyone!

My first week here has felt like it has gone on forever. I am slowly learning my Spanish language but it is a lot more difficult then it was in high school. They speak Spanish most of the time in class and we just have to learn it, so it is interesting. We have learned how to say the invite to be baptized in Spanish and also how to say the Spanish baptism prayer, which is cool. This Sunday was fast Sunday, like most of you know, and it was awesome! The spirit was so strong and so amazing.  My district i am in is called "Mateo", which in English is Matthew. We are basically the best district! On Sunday, after only being here for 4 days, we ALL got up and bore our testimonies. Oh ya, they were all in Spanish as well. They said that is the first time they have seen that in years! I know the Lord is helping me learn the language, but it is still hard so keep me in your prayers!

We have started teaching an "investigator". It is actually our teacher in costume but it is all in Spanish! His name is Jaime. We have taught him the 10 Commandments, the Word of Wisdom and about the temple and families. The coolest experience is my companion and I went in and were planning on only teaching him about the Word of Wisdom and families but when we got in we showed him pictures of our families. He started looking through my picture book and saw the temple picture mom took on the back page. He asked if that was the Church and I told him no it was the temple and he asked what was so special about it, so we started telling him about it and about how through the temple families can live together forever and he said he wants that for his family. The Spirit was so strong in there. Some of the words I said I had no idea that I knew. I know the lord was helping me. We committed him to get baptized on November 28, 2014. It is so spiritual.

A lot of you asked about my schedule, so here it is

6:30    Wake up shower and get ready
7:30    Breakfast
8:00    Personal study
9:00    Language study
10:00  Coaching study
11:00  Grammar
12:00  Lunch
1:00    TALL (computer work stuff)
1:30    Lessons
2:30    Grammar
3:15    Sports and shower
5:00    Dinner
5:45    Teach Investigator or companion study
7:30    Snack
8:00    Teach investigator or companion study
9:00    Companion planning
9:30    Write in journal
10:15  Be in bed
10:30  Lights out

So as you can tell it is a jam-packed day! haha  My companion's name is Elder Hales from North Carolina. He is a little guy but very good at learning the language. He doesn't eat a lot which is good for me 'cause i get to finish his food! Also in our room we have Elder Chandler from California and Elder Fua from New Zealand. He and I get along great, we both love rugby and are big guys.

The food here is great I am loving it!

We got to go through the temple today and it was so cool. It is smaller than the St. George Temple but it is so cool and the spirit is so strong!

I am nervous 'cause I feel like I am not picking up the language as fast as I should be able to, but I know I will if I work, trust in the Lord and pray!

Yo se que jesucristo es el salvador y Thomas s monson is un profeta y el libro de mormon is verdadero. Este conocimiento me ayuda a vivir feliz, y superar desafios.

Translation: I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Thomas S. Monson is a prophet and the Book of Mormon is true. This knowledge helps me to live happily and to overcome challenges!

I know that any trial i have if I pray and love then I will be able to get through it. I love you all and thank you for writing me!

Love,
Elder Hummel

P.S. I can't send pictures because they take our cd players and cameras when we come in. I will get them back when I go into the field in 6 weeks. Send me pictures though, I can view them on these computers. Also, we can receive packages in the MTC. It takes 2-3 weeks to get here they said. I love you all and am so thankful for all the prayers and help!

P.S.S. I hope you all are cheering for the Jazz and Broncos for me. I have worn my Bronco shorts and Jazz shirt and everyone talks to me about them! I love you all and hope everything is going well! PRAY FOR ME AND WRITE ME FOR NEXT WEEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment